Sunday, January 29, 2012

Reclaiming a Vintage Steelcase Office Chair and a Mini Investment!

Hello!..to all my readers and Welcome all newcomers!:D
I have been MIA for 2 weeks and Im very very sorry..Ive been soo busy with School :(
But I will try harder..I Promise!
First I will say that I LOVE to shop resale!
I used to make silly wallets out of baby shirts from the goodwill....which now kinda make me laugh..they looked so wonky!
But I was Proud lol!

Well, recently me and my lovely mom went to a flea market and I came accross this vintage office chair...


and I was very interested!  It rolled, swiveled, and rocked.
and it was very very comfortable and sturdy!
But, being the cheap person I am..(which is very very cheap!)
I decided not to buy it..although it was pretty awesome!

Usually thats the end..when I dont buy something I usually just go on without any regrets because most things I dont need!

However, I was really really interested and decided to find more info so I googled images for "Vintage office Chair"

and clicked a link to a similar chair and found out that this chair was a 1970s Steelcase Chair.
(mine even has a steelcase logo on the bottom)


After More and More research I decided I must have this chair!

So I went back to buy it!
and lucky me it was still there! Yay!

It was in EXCELLENT condition and very very heavy!
but the fabric just wasnt doing it for me!
so me and my Boyfriend reupholstered and spray painted
and this was our end result:


It turned out better than I ever could have imagined!
We are so happy with the results!
This chair will last me many many years..and its so convenient to have!
I just LOVE it!


Now for the Investment Part:

I went back to the resale store and noticed they had more of this type of chair, except none rolled, most were missing arms, and only a few swiveled.

But still good Great chairs that would look good in any room!
especially for someone interested in vintage!
Even a children's room..these chairs are that sturdy!

So I purchased all of them (12 to be exact)

Im going to refinish all of them with new fabric, paint, etc.

Then we will sell them...probably on etsy!

But, I want to offer anyone interested the chance to design their own chair
(pick out custom fabric and paint)
so if your interested let me know!
(Keep in mind this may not be available very long)

Also If you would like to see how we reupholstered them comment below and I will put up a mini tute!

Thats all I have for now guys!..Have a Great Week, -Tisha

1 comment:

  1. I just purchased a pair of vintage steelcase chairs from a local architectural salvage store. Mine are considered "guest" chairs for an office setting. They are so darn heavy and the leather is in excellent condition. I just need to clean up the chrome/metal a bit and they will be perfect in my industrial style office environment. Best part is they were only $31.50 each :). I'd love to see how you spruce up your thrifty finds.

    ReplyDelete